NEW WORKSHOPS THIS AUTUMN: TRACE YOUR FAMILY TREE
If you enjoy ‘Who do you think you are?’, and would like to explore your family history, join us this Autumn at Fawdon Community Library this autumn. Find out how to create your own family tree FREE OF CHARGE and take home an A3 Family History Chart for you to complete as you progress.
Click HERE to check availability
Register your interest today to book your place:
- by calling in to Fawdon Community Library
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
YOUR PRIVACY MATTERS
- How and why the library collects information from you
- Who we share your information with, why and on what basis
- How we protect your information
- What your rights are
Should you need to contact us, please write to:
Data Protection Lead, Fawdon Community Library, Fawdon Community Centre, Fawdon Park Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 2PL or email us at: email@example.com quoting Data Protection Enquiry.
How and why the library collects information from you
When you complete an application form to become a library member and/or volunteer, you are required to provide us with the following information:
- Full name and address
- Year of birth (or month and year of birth if under 16)
- Contact number and email address
- Proof of identity and address
This information enables us to maintain a record of books that you borrow from the library, to assess whether you are a child or adult member, and to determine which library facilities you can use. We also request details of any disability and ethnic origin (optional) to assist us with statistical information for funding purposes, as we are a volunteer run library and rely upon grants and funding to retain our services to our community. (NB Your personal information is NOT shared for this purpose)
We check your proof of identity and address and allocate you a member number. Your application form is scanned and held securely on our library system, and all paper documentation is securely destroyed.
We may also ask non-library members for contact details if they enter a competition or raffle when visiting the library or library event. Such information will not be used for any other purpose and will be securely destroyed after the event.
Who we share your information with, why and on what basis
FCL is an UK Online Centre, registered with Good Things Foundation, a charity which aims to increase digital awareness. If you attend and register on a Learn My Way basic computer training course, the information that you provide (name, address, age group, email, contact number, training centre) is collected by Good Things Foundation, to maintain a record of your learning progress, which we access and utilise for statistical purposes, to assist funding of library services, and also to provide your certificate(s) upon completion of learning modules.
How we protect your information
When we collect and use your information we take all reasonable efforts to:
- Do so fairly and lawfully
- Minimise the amount we collect
- Maintain accurate and up to date information
- Not keep your information for longer than we need it
- Manage your information properly
- Delete your information promptly and securely when no longer required
We make every effort to keep your information safe and safeguard your privacy. To do so, we:
- Utilise strong password protection;
- Ensure that your information is locked away when not in use;
- Library room is securely locked when unattended, and windows shuttered outside of working hours;
- Library volunteers receive appropriate training
What your rights are
We may contact you from time to time to advise you of new books, events or library services. You will not receive such information if you have requested not to be contacted.
Please note that you may still receive non-personalised library material through your letterbox.
The GDPR 2018 gives you greater control over your information, giving you easier access, right to view, obtain, amend or delete your record. If required, a letter or email should be sent to the address at the top of this page, addressed to Data Protection Lead. You must:
- Provide sufficient information to identify you, i.e. name and address and membership number if available
- Detail which information you require access to, e.g. library membership information, Learn My Way records, etc.
A response, in your required format, i.e. paper or email, will be sent to you within 20 days. This service is free of charge.
Any queries regarding this policy should be directed to:
Data Protection Lead, Fawdon Community Library, Fawdon Community Centre, Fawdon Park Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 2PL